WHO SAID I MATTERED ANY WAY!

I can't really ever remember a time like this in my life where it seems like the entire world is fighting for the same course. On the one hand, there is a major health pandemic and on the other, a pandemic that has been going on for decades now. I'm talking about the racial pandemic just in case you were wondering. I think I can say that it hasn't been this much in the forefront as it has been recently: at least for a very long time anyway.  yes, we have had protests, campaigns, and even legislation in the past but that didn't seem to stop much of the injustice that black people are still facing today.  However, this time it was different, or rather I should say, it is different, this time there is a  collective protest unlike never before. People from different countries and even continents for that matter all gathering to fight for a course that was previously fought by just one set of people. So you see, it is beginning to feel like it is no longer 'their fight' and more like the world now sees it as 'our fight'  racism is not just the other people's problems, it is the world's problem so no matter your political, religion or gender identity is something that must be fought as a collective, especially as we are increasingly becoming more connected in many ways made more evident with the coronavirus pandemic.

so what does this mean for us, is there really going to be a real change this time,  are we finally waking up and beginning to see the reality of a group of people that have been for so many decades speaking up against the injustice that they have faced.

I think, however, that only time will tell the real changes that will emerge from this, but as a black woman with my own experiences of racism, I'm struggling to see a period where my blackness does not dictate the way I show up in the world. perhaps a time will come where my authenticity is not viewed as brash and loud, where  I don't feel that l I have to water down anything about myself in order to fit in. But until then, I very much believe that we collectively(all races) have a lot of work to do. This fight can no longer in any way afford to be treated as  'their fight'  it needs to be however tackled as our fight... and only then can we look forward to real change happening. 
 

Comments

sewmanstore said…
great post and information! awwesome!
Deb971 said…
Nice presentation.
BolerVIBES said…
Well said! I ask myself these same questions regarding racism
Very important piece of information. This is indeed everyone's fight..
Very important piece of information. This is indeed everyone's fight..
ndidi onuorah said…
I'm glad that you agree that this is everyone's fight. Thank you

Popular Posts