UNDERAGE MARRIAGE






I have previously expressed my views on underage marriages however I was talking about it from a different angle. The angle where older men married underage girls. One of my major concerns was the emotional maturity of let's say a twelve-year-old girl going into a marriage with a man old enough to be her grandfather but it never for once occurred to me that it could be the other way round, a seventy-year-old woman marrying a boy of nine, too young to fully grasp any concept about life or to carry out his duties as an equal partner in a marriage. Although I will admit that I wasn't sure how to react to the article at first why should it be in my view, so wrong in many ways for a man and not a woman? Then I tried to look at it from a maternal angle until I saw the affectionate display between both of them which am sure the child doesn't fully understand yet. I believe this is a cultural practice in that part of the country but so is underage girls in an Islamic state. I am talking about this because I haven’t seen the same level of opposing reaction as I did with the men who decided to marry underage girls. Although there is clearly a ritual practice and according to the article, the boy would be free to marry a woman much closer to his age in the future unlike the underage girls, so one is left to wonder the purpose of the nuptial but more importantly why isn't there a hashtag campaign, an emotional outburst and parliamentary discussions to try and stop these kinds of practice.. or is it because the vulnerable in this case is a male and society fails to see them as such even when they are still children.




Comments

Eghosa igun said…
Nice. ...I think more attention have been placed on the young female folks because they are seen are more vulnerable but on the other hand young males are being abused on a daily basis...I think the world should unite against abuse of both young boys and girls and just as you noted a campaign should be lunched.
ndidi onuorah said…
Yes I agree with you on that

Popular Posts